Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Small Dog Blog Reason Post 2

I left off with Pepper scratching at my leg last night. Turns out she wanted to go to bed. I know, I'm a sucker for bedtime.

So we ended up getting Pepper during the southern California fire storm. The fire was not even close to my home, but I still was hesitant to leave. There is always the "what ifs?"

But my girlfriend was adamant in getting her, so it was either let her drive 60 miles to pick up a dog from a man on craigslist or go with her. I chose the latter.

So we took off down the freeway with the smoke billowing everywhere and ash falling like snow. We were told by the man that he would meet us on a street corner. We brought a small dog carrier just in case, but the plan was for my girlfriend to just have her in her lap.

After multiple phone calls trying to locate the precise corner (there are a lot in San Diego) we finally parked and walked to where he said he would be.

Well, the man was creepy and it played out like a drug deal. "You got the stuff?" "Yeah." Something like that. We exchanged money and dog and went on our way with barely a word between us.

The first few days I tried my darnedest not to like the little pup. But like all small cute things she worked her way into my life.

Then came the peeing and pooping. I was prepared, but it certainly was not like the cats that I had owned up until now. Cats pretty much know what to do from the get go. You point them towards the litter box and they figure it out. Puppies on the other hand... not so much.

Next time I'll detail small dog training.

No comments: